There is going to be a time when you get a new coaching job, take over a new team where you know NO players or anybody and it will be overwhelming and tough.
Therefore as I was in a similar situation this past July, I figured as I have sometime to reflect and gather my thoughts on the subject. I get asked this question pretty often.
"How did you get started in coaching?"
"How do I get started in coaching?"
"What's some advice you have for me as I'm looking to get into coaching?"
"How should I approach an organization if I want to coach?"
So...here are some simple yet effective steps for becoming a new coach.
1. Players buy into who the person who is FIRST and the coach SECOND.
2. Wins and loses matter but developing young adults is more important.
3. Put the team ABOVE yourself in every situation. (Check your ego at the door).
4. You're either ALL IN or ALL OUT.
5. Lead from the front! LEAD BY EXAMPLE!
6. Be YOU!
7. Listen to other but be careful who you take advice from.
8. Ask for help. You're young and do not know everything.
9. Don't expect your players to do or care more than you!
10. BE A ROLE MODEL!